Here is my vision: 'I inspire people to discover their courage so that they lead healthy and wealthy lives'. This statement helps me focus on how I can live a 'courageous' life while helping others do the same. It means trying new ideas and activities that expand my comfort zone to insure that I grow as an individual, as a father, as a husband, as a friend, and as a Coach.
The following 5-step process is a simple and straightforward formula for creating your Vision. Your Vision will create excitement and positive energy for you and others who read and experience it.
- Start with the word 'I' - Your Vision is all about 'you', so we start with the word 'I'.
- Action Word - what do we do for others - words of action like discover, help, motivate, support, teach, direct, coach, provide.
- Who, or What, do I direct the action toward - who is your action directed to? Examples include people, athletes, young adults, animals, people with special needs, artists, etc.
- The Outcome or the result of the action - this is the result of the action. In my example, 'to discover their courage'.
- The Benefit of the outcome - this is the benefit of the action. It answers the question: What's in it for me? The benefit is preceded by the words 'so that'.
Most people do not have a Vision because they simply have not taken the time (usually one-hour) to create one. Is it worth one-hour of your time to think about, gain clarity, and create your vision to help guide your future? What other priorities are more important? If you want some help and guidance in creating your Vision statement, drop me an e-mail at email@example.com.